11.20.2013

What's Up Wednesday (20)


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, so we can check in with each other. To join, just check out Jaime Morrow or Erin Funk's blogs for the link widget and sign up!


WHAT I'M READING

ALLEGIANT! I didn't make it for YA Book Club (which you might want to check out if you HAVE read Allegiant), but at least I finally finished All Our Yesterdays! Despite how long it took me to read, it was good! The time travel was interesting, but beyond that I liked seeing the difference and lingering similarities between Em and Marina.


WHAT I'M WRITING

Still NaNo-ing! Very, very behind but I'm happy that I'm writing pretty much every day. Woohoo!


WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW

Last week, the Make a Wish foundation and San Francisco turned the city into Gotham for a day so that 5-year-old Miles could be a super hero for a day. BatKid went around the city fighting crime and saving people in a Batmobile. People turned up to cheer him on, and the SF Chronicle even printed a special edition of the paper for it.



Seeing the pictures and tweets all day was so incredible and inspiring!

If you missed it, here's a good round-up of the day: Everything You Need to Know About...Crime-fighting Batkid.


WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO

It was Alz's birthday last week, and we got her sprinkle donuts. Alz is birthday twins with one of our other friends. So there was celebrations for that too. We went out to eat and then, of course, there was karaoke.

[Photo/ Gennia]
But prior to karaoke, there was an amazing prank that was played. Our dear friend Luce is easily scared, and so this scenario was too good to pass up. Enjoy. (Video from Gennia)



Then, as we drove home from karaoke, the Sister won advanced screening tickets to see THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE!

So, on Monday night we got to see Catching Fire at the same time as it was being shown at the red carpet premiere. They let us into the theater an hour before the screening and live-streamed the red carpet premiere to us. They made us check our phones before we entered, so the Sister and I were both hungry and unable to tell time, haha. Then at 7:30p, we got to see the movie!

They had a mini red carpet set up for us & took our photo.
Outside the theater, they had a mini red carpet, a bunch of the Subway Catching Fire Victor stand-ups around, and a photo booth. They also gave us a movie poster and Subway CF cups.

Our photo booth picture: can you spot the Peeta-pocket? The Sister accidentally blocked him.

Now, I had a lot to say about the 1st Hunger Games movie- pros and cons. And while I liked THE HUNGER GAMES, I didn't love it.

But THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE movie? Loved it! It basically fixed my biggest issues with the first movie - like shaky cam! No more shaky camera! And the fashion! There's actual, gorgeous, outrageous fashion. And FINNICK ODAIR.

Rocked the Mockingjay pin I got from Scholastic back when Mockingjay was released.
I also loved Johanna. So, in short, if you liked the first, I think you'll like the second. I'm so happy about this too because Catching Fire is my favorite HG book. The Sister liked this movie better than the first too! So good.

The Sister used her HG purse: Mockingjay emblem & loaf of bread sewed on by Alz.
The Sister also wore her bread socks in honor of Peeta.

And that's what we've been up to! Can't wait for you all to see Catching Fire later this week! Then let's chat about it.

What's up with you?

13 comments:

Miss Cole said...

Aaaaw, yay, Batkid. What an amazing thing for him to experience. Make A Wish is the most amazing thing ever.

Looks like a great birthday. Glad you both enjoyed the film, too ^_^

Have an awesome week!

Alison Miller said...

I saw your pic on IG and SO JEALOUS!!! But also so happy for you. CATCHING FIRE was my favorite book too and with your review, I am super hyped for tomorrow night!!!

ELAdams said...

I can't wait to watch Catching Fire! Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Ariana Ferrone said...

I'm seeing Catching Fire this Friday and I'm SO excited now that I've read your comments - I also (strongly) liked The Hunger Games movie, but didn't love it. Looking forward to some Finnick action!

Jaime Morrow said...

Love the bread socks! And I'm so envious that you got to go see the movie early. Nice to hear that it was so good. :-)

Batkid was in my inspiration section this week too! Such a great story and I basically want to hug all of SF right now.

Good luck with the final stretch of NaNo. I think it's great that you're writing every day!

Katy Upperman said...

Yay for writing every day! And yay for Catching Fire! I'm so envious of your early screening, but I'm relieved to hear that you loved it. I can't wait to see it! Hope you have a great week, lady. :-)

Unknown said...

Catching Fire sounds great, I'll have to watch it. And happy b-day to your sister.

Joss said...

I am so jealous that you got to watch catching fire. It has been an awfully long time since I went to the cinema, may have to go for this one though.Not sure I have the patience to wait :)

Stephanie Allen said...

I am SO HAPPY to hear they did away with the shaky cam this time around. I actually felt sick the first time I watched the movie in theaters because of it, and it didn't help that I had to sit in the front row because those were the only seats left.

And, of course, everything is always improved by Finnick.

Mara Valderran said...

Loved the whole Batkid thing. I can't read about it without crying (happy tears, of course). It is so moving and inspiring.

I've got a busy weekend ahead of me, so I won't be seeing Catching Fire until Monday or Tuesday. Also, it's cheaper those days at one of our local movie theaters (5 bucks!).

Good luck with NaNo and have a great week!

Anonymous said...

So cool getting to see Catching Fire early!

I've only sang karaoke once and while it was fun, it's so much more fun to watch other people do it - nothing like drunken renditions of Beatles' songs :)

linda said...

ahhh i loved catching fire too! cried sooo much. thought it was way better than the first movie. i think it's because there's more action in CF whereas in HG it's quieter and things are mostly happening in her head. and yes FINNICK ODAIR! i wasn't impressed with him in the book but the movie totally won me over. johanna is amazing too. i like HG more as a book but i think i might like CF better as a movie! :)

Anonymous said...

I remembered when you tweeted about this.
I looked like it was an amazing bday. Unfortunately for me I'm going to have to wait for the movie to come out on DVD.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! :)

~Akoss