5.20.2015

Currently...(5)

"Currently..." updates will be every other Tuesday, concurrent with Katy Upperman. (Except this week because I messed up - hence this Wednesday post.)

I found the Currently post at Kate Hart's blog, who got the idea from Amy Lukavics, who found it here.
Please join in and link me in the comments if you do!

Loving


Disneyland with my besties!
It's been such a long time since I've gone with a big group and with some of my favorite people. It was a blast, and the Sis and I think we did pretty good playing in both parks. Thanks friends for trusting our Disneyland skillz0rs and letting us boss you around the park.

This interview with Kaye (@gildedspine) as part of Kate Hart's Badass Ladies series.

Watching
Pitch Perfect 2 - enjoyed it, but I think the first was better. This one felt a little crowded, but I loved the music and the girl-focus.

TURN - this season is so good now that we're really into the spy and war stuff.

Orphan Black (finally) - still catching up on this, but have finally started watching this season. Tatiana Maslany continues to amaze with her acting ability.


Reading
Washington's Spies, though I'm taking a bit of a break at the moment to read Sarah Maas' adult fantasy A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES.


Thanks to Tracey and Lola for forwarding this ARC to me! I hope to get a finished copy soon. :)


Listening to
My friend (and one of the kindest, most thoughtful women I know) Erica produced this great episode for the Public Radio and podcast series State of the Re:Union about the region where we both grew up. It's a wonderful mix of slice-of-life, travelogue, history, and intersectional identity.

The episode is called SAN GABRIEL VALLEY, CA: SMALL TOWN, GLOBAL CITY. Highly recommended. (Bonus: the hot pot eating pics were taken by my other friend Gennia.)

I'm excited to check out the other episodes of State of the Re:Union too - telling the story of America, one community at a time.


Thinking about
Lots to digest this week, especially given all the media I consume. In particular, check out these entries:

Chuck Wendig's blog post We Are Not Things: Mad Max Versus Game of Thrones. (WARNING: Spoilers for both GoT and Mad Max: Fury Road & discussion of violence against women and female agency.)

Justina Ireland's post about female agency: The Curious Case of Lady Characters with Agency.

Feminist Frequency's (@femfreq) brief but thought-provoking discussion of Mad Max, popular media, and its conception of feminism on her twitter timeline.


Anticipating

The summer writing intensive Ready. Set. Write! (Click for more info!)

I'm also looking forward to seeing Mad Max: Fury Road. I had only a small interest in seeing this movie, but after hearing all the great reviews, I'm really want to see it now. Hope to get to it this weekend!


Making me happy
Long weekend! Upcoming second Disneyland trip!


Also, from a little while ago, Mother's Day celebrations. We took our Mom out to breakfast brunch, and then we made Loki take pictures with us. I love his expressions!


Update me on your currently in the comments or in a blog post!

4 comments:

Connie Keller said...

Enjoyed your photos of Disneyland!

When I was a kid, we used to live nearby and I remember the day when you bought ticket booklets for the rides. All the good rides were E tickets.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Loki is adorable!

katyupperman said...

Agree that the original Pitch Perfect is best, but I did love that there was so much singing in #2. I liked it so much more than I'd anticipated, which was a relief You know how sequels go sometimes!). Love your Disneyland photos, and your Mother's Day photos with Loki. He's adorable as always. Can't wait to RSW with you this summer, Alice!

Simply Sarah said...

I love both Turn and Orphan Black! I have A Throne of Roses and I started it a bit tonight. I'm afraid to read much because I know I won't get anything else done.