6.27.2011

Lovin' the Language Blogfest!



Today's special Monday post is brought to you by Jolene Perry's Lovin' the Language Blogfest!

I was psyched when I found out about this because I, too, am a lover of language. Beautiful writing - like really lovely, oh-that-could-be-poetry writing - takes my breath away. It pushes all my writerly readerly buttons. In fact, if you saw my Favorite Books blogfest post, you'll see part of why I love From the Dust Returned and The Last Unicorn so much is because the language sings. It does things I can only hope to aspire to.

So yeah, I love the language.

Here are the super flexible blogfest rules:

Pick any five lines (yes, it can be a few short lines that roll together. That's okay, and is probably what I'll do) from one of your WIPs. If you're feeling shy, and don't want to share from your own work, share from something you LOVE.
On June 27th (a dreaded Monday post) you can toss up some of your favorite lines - you know - the ones that make you want to jump up from your computer and raise your hands in the air when you get them down, or the ones that make you laugh, smile, or cry each time you read them.

Jolene herself confesses to being something of a blogfest rule-breaker. So, in honor of that spirit, I'm going to be breaking some rules myself this time around.

Instead of lines from 1 WIP, I'm sharing lines from a few. Why? Well, the current WIP has a few good ones here and there, but I have a few from others that I like better. :)

Here's a random sampling of some of my favorite lines from WIPs.

[From something old...]
1) It was a beautiful, delicate thing made of interlocked gears and fine coiled wire all encased in glass. Luminescent spell-fluid glowed within its small chambers, ready to be activated, and in the darkness, it seemed to the man as if he were holding a star.

2) Her memory was long, and the ghosts kept there stirred as she lost herself in the brushstrokes.

She could touch those flowers and be devoured with them by the pressing, encompassing dark.

[From something new...]
3) The girl cocks her head like a bird, pouting her lips at him. They are stained the reddish black of elderberries. “I know you in the sweetness of my marrow, the aching of my bones.”

[From Alz & my current WIP]

4) [Alz] "How far is the Bellows from here?"
The guard looked Cameron up and down.
"A good few miles," the guard replied. "You'll want to take a coach."
"Or I could walk," said Cameron.
"Aye, you could," said the guard, "and end up robbed blind and naked on the roadside."
"That bad, eh?" said Cameron.
"Maybe worse. Depends on the time of day." The guard squinted up at the sky, now a pale blue streaked with white cloudy wisps and the sun rising toward zenith. "Probably just robbed blind, roundabout now. Could end up dead, though, if you swagger through the Bellows flashing a sword around like that."

5) [Krispy] He cut a stark figure against the faded landscape like the first inked letter on a penciled page.


That's that! Thanks Jolene for having this fab idea, and thank YOU for reading!

Care to share a line or two (of yours or someone else's) in the comments? (That is if you're not already doing the blogfest) If you are doing the blogfest, let me know and I'll be sure to stop by!

See you Wednesday!

24 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I love #4!!

Brianna said...

Oooh! Lovin' the language on all 5, but #3 especially. Beautiful writing.

ali cross said...

Ah!! I *love* these! You are (both) tremendous ~ what beautiful examples!

And I'm wishing I'd broken the rules like you did. :( I was a total follower.

Spanj said...

Fantastic! Love the use of all the senses, really brings everything to life. Pop over to my blog to read my entry.

Shallee said...

I really like number four! Thanks for sharing.

Jolene Perry said...

WOOT for rule breaking!!

NICE selections!

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

How fun! Love these.

Tere Kirkland said...

#1 and #5 are my favorites. I really want to read the rest of the first story now! ;)

shelly said...

Elderberry, huh? Good for you. Loved it! Was my favorite.

Danyelle L. said...

*noms the delicious pretties*

I love finding prose that makes me want to wrap up in it. You two are incredibly talented!

Chronicles of Illusions said...

Wow - great lines.

Summer Ross said...

Number one is my favorite- great lines!

Kayleigh Herbertson said...

The dialogue is great in number four! Totally awesome writing!

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

You certainly have a way with words!

They read like pure magic.

The Write Soil

Unknown said...

Hi!

I'm here from the Blogfest. So many good writers; so many good words.

For me, your second excerpt is my fave, but they are all good.

Lucy

Vicki Rocho said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE #4

Sophia Chang said...

Whoooo - honey I could FEEL those lines! I'm loving your writing!!!!!
I'll write you more in email...

Trisha said...

Nice excerpts!! And yay, I like to see rules broken. Hehe

Lydia Kang said...

I love your excerpts! This is the first writing I've read of yours. And it's FABU!

C R Ward said...

Beautifully written. I loved them all!

Stephanie said...

Those are wonderful. I especially liked #1 and #2. Beautiful language and imagery.

Golden Eagle said...

I love number 1--it sounds like such a beautiful object. :)

Krispy said...

ANGELINE- Thanks for stopping by! I favor the visual, so loved hearing that you found some other senses in there too. :)

JO- Thanks!

SUMMER- I worked really hard on #1, so I'm glad you like it!

KAYLEIGH- Thanks! Alz has a way with dialogue. Her timing is perfect.

TRISHA- Thanks, and yes, rule-breaking is more fun! ;)

STEPHANIE- Thank you! :D

Ariana Ferrone said...

Lovely, lovely writing. Words are wonderful. Yours are especially so. <3