"Currently..." updates will be every 2 weeks or so. Going to try to update on Tuesdays when Katy Upperman posts hers.
I found the Currently post at Kate Hart's blog, who got the idea from Amy Lukavics, who found it here. Please join in and link me in the comments if you do!
- All the Hamilton love because I love that my favorite Founding Father is finally getting some attention! (Not to mention, the musical itself is just crazy good. Seeing it on Broadway was a highlight of the trip, and I loved seeing how it has changed from the Off-Broadway version we saw in February - oh my god, I can't believe that was also this year!)
- Experiencing the New England fall because wow, I get the hype now. The leaves, the apples, the CIDER DONUTS. *swoon*
- Book / Writer / Twitter people! So much of my trip wouldn't have been half as fun (or even possible!) if it weren't for the hospitality, recommendations, and general generosity of the friends I've met through the book/writing community.
- My friends' house-party because they had a Donald Trump piñata, good food, and a karaoke machine in their backyard.
- Halloween shenanigans! I had 3 costumes this year (witch, Feyre from A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES, and a Loki-inspired flapper)!
- I went to Sarah's first First Draft LIVE! event!
- My friends and the Sister took a bunch of photos in costume! Loki was a bee. Then we watched INSIDIOUS and were scared.
- We went to the opera on Halloween in costume! It was for Moby Dick & the stage design was super cool.
Way too much TV. So I'm just going to take this opportunity to say one of my favorite parts of my History Nerd vacation was vegetating on Tracey's couch and watching ALL THE TV.
I finished WINK, POPPY, MIDNIGHT and what a peculiar, wonderful book. It's hard to describe exactly what it is, but April's writing is always so beautiful and atmospheric. You're in for a treat this Spring. :)
I need to finish up some of the reads I put on hold when I went on vacation, but I'm really looking forward to Sarah Vowell's newest LAFAYETTE IN THE SOMEWHAT UNITED STATES. I love her humorous, historically-bent essays and I love Lafayette! So win-win! :D
Hamiltunes! Jams on jams on jams. I'm obsessed with Burr's First Act song "Wait for It." (You can stream it on Amazon music and Spotify!)
Also, I'm kind of into this podcast called LIMETOWN, which is a kind of creepy, possibly Sci-Fi story told in the style of Serial.
That I was still leafpeeping! I know going out to look at the leaves change colors is a thing, but I didn't know until recently that it had a term. I did so much of it on the East Coast, and goodness, no one does fall the way New England does. No wonder they get so excited about it. ;)
It's that time of year for Kelsey Macke and Jessica Love's annual mug exchange Sip Swap!
I did it last year and thought it was great. I met the geeky wonder woman that is Elizabeth Briggs, and Jessica Love sent me the most awesome mug. It is giant and it says "talk nerdy to me," so really a win all around.
I'd participate again in a second, but since I have a hoarder's level of mugs, I don't know if this is a great idea for me right now - especially since I bought a new mug during my trip...
Anyway, the deadline is this weekend, so do not dally!!
MAKING ME HAPPY
Obviously, I am sad that vacation is over, but I have all the great memories from my nerd trip to think about - and the millions of photos I haven't posted! I'll recap my adventures more fully eventually!
Also making me happy is spending so much time with my friends lately. One of the best parts of the trip was traveling with my faves AND meeting up with new(ish) and old friends alike, and November is shaping up to be weekends full of get-togethers with my favorite people!
(From top left clockwise: Tracey!!, Kim from Bookmunchies, my hilarious college roommate, my witty playwright friend from college who sympathized with my Founding Fathers love!)
The Sister's truly top-notch imitations have been a delight!
SO MANY BOOKS TO READ. AN ABUNDANCE OF GOOD READS.
Update me! What's up with you?