Welcome to our Friday Five, peeps. And it is a Friday of finishings, writings, epiphanies, and books!
1. Krispy had an epiphany on her years-old Asian!nanowrimo project while in the shower. The best place for epiphanies! "I wasn't even thinking about Asian!nano!" says Krispy. "It just came to me! All sudden like! Plus I was reading previously in the week a lot of Sarah Rees Brennan stuff about the awesomeness of ladies--are you just typing what I was saying right now? Okay, I'm going to stop talking now. STOP IT. I'm just going to edit what you're typing later."
2. Thursday evening, with chrysanthemum tea and sweet potato fries and strawberry milk tea, Krispy finally told me the details of her Asian!nano, and with a few suggestions and questions and some discussion, she finally worked her way through the plot block and formed a coherent backstory and marched her way to a climactic climax and satisfying resolution. She is even now typing all her epiphanies down and making notes.
3. Thursday evening, I also finished writing a short story that I've been working on for three years. Which sounds very long and impressive except that I was working on it in fits and starts with long periods of inactivity in between. I was, uh, leaving the story fallow for a while. To, you know, grow and develop. Benign neglect. Really. Next is immediate editing and then another fallow period and then editing again.
4. Krispy and I have been writing our separate critiques for Sophia's blogaversary winner. Krispy has been finding it hard work while I have found it to be hard but familiar work, thanks to grad workshop.
5. I won my first book giveaway! WOO! Thank you, Pub(lishing) Crawl! A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Partials by Dan Wells. Can't wait until they get here!
So we've been busy bees here this past week, clacking away on our keyboards and getting down some decent work and wordage. What have you been working on lately, writingwise?
P.S. NiNoCon is tomorrow! What is NiNoCon? Simply put, it's a one day online writers' conference hosted by the ever fabulous ali cross. Click NiNoCon to find out more!
P.P.S. Krispy did a blog hop on dialogue Wednesday. See Collections if you haven't already.