9.02.2011

Friday Five x Two = 10 Random Facts

Technically Krispy was tagged by Tere and not me, but even though Camp Nano is officially over, Krispy is still furiously nanoing (or should be) and so I'm taking over the 10 Random Facts meme.  Have at ye!

1. I read trashy romance in the hopes that it will be hilariously over-the-top. It frequently is and it just as frequently is pretty boring. My standards and expectations for trashy romance are completely different from my standards and expectations for YA, even if it is a YA romance.

2. I was never much of a coffee- or tea-drinker until I hit college, when I finally understood the benefits of a steaming-hot caffeinated beverage on a freezing night before a paper is due.

3. Following up on that, I've never actually pulled an all-nighter when writing a paper. I always finished it the night before, at the latest. Which means I'd be wired all night from the copious amounts of caffeine guzzled in the pre-emptive terror of spending all night furiously writing.

4. I am a cynic with a little romantic inside me, but like Drumsticks and Dingdongs, that sweet delicious center gets smaller and smaller every year.

5. I've always drawn Krispy like this, for years, because I wanted to, for no particular reason, without her having any say in the matter:

Krispy can also be seen here in her true form.

6. I've participated in Nanowrimo every year since 2004, which means I have four halfway-decent (and halfway-crappy) incomplete novels sitting around since Nano 2007 & 2008 comprised one long continuous novel-effort (which I'm thinking of revisiting soon), and Nano 2006 eventually became my Master's thesis.

7. In second grade, the teacher told us to write an essay about our nicknames. In one paragraph, I wanted to write "my brother calls me stupid" but I thought "stupid" was too bad and mean a word to write for a school assignment, so I wrote "my brother calls me dummy" instead.


I have since graduated to writing "fuck" and sundry assorted vulgar terminologies in my school assignments. Ah, such innocence I once had.


8. I'm a picky eater. I do not like: fish, most other seafood, onions, cilantro, tomatoes, thousand-year duck eggs, green onions, spinach except when cooked certain ways, chives, bell peppers, oyster sauce, baby rabbit, lettuce, mustard, ketchup, celery, cauliflower, Earl Gray tea, white tea…the list goes on and on.

9. I like to crochet but cannot knit to save my life. Which is a pity since knitting needles make better weapons than crochet hooks not only because they are longer and sharper, but also because you have two of them.

10. I was a precocious little bugger with regards to reading and was into Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton, and Marion Zimmer Bradley when I was in the fourth grade. Perhaps this is why I've never been particularly fond of "classics"—Where the Red Fern Grows is pretty boring compared to dragonriders flying on giant dragons to flame alien-spores out of the sky before they can ravage the planet below, and the politics of a tithe-system and Weir-vs-Hold governance.


I'm supposed to tag four more people. I shall henceforth tag—

The Spectacular Sophia
The Lovely Linda
The Dashing Danyelle
The Excellent Emy

—as well as anyone else who wishes to participate! Share the random love.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Alz, your posts always have me grinning and laughing. I absolutely ADORE that post you linked to about Krispy's origins. Entirely awesome. I'm not sure how I managed to miss it last year.

And I can't really comprehend how you didn't pull an all-nighter to write papers before. (This, coming from the person who'd finish a paper seconds before it's due online.)

And yay! Thanks for tagging me.

Tere Kirkland said...

Baby rabbits, lol. But they're the most delicious.

I think my cynicism has been forming a hard mineral shell over the geode of the romantic I used to be. Hmm. Maybe it's time to move out of the city. Nah. ;)

Lori M. Lee said...

Your posts always brighten my day XD

linda said...

Omg Alz you are too awesome! I second Emy's comment about how your posts always make me grin and laugh like crazy. :D

Random comments:
I'm still not much of a coffee/tea drinker, even with those paper-writing all-nighters I pulled, haha.
Oh no about the sweet delicious core getting smaller and smaller! Keep it alive!!
LOL! Love your point about crochet hooks and knitting needles! I did both but haven't done either in a long time. Now I'm tempted to pick them up again... except they're in California and I'm in Taiwan. Boo.

Ooh, I'm so flattered to be tagged along with such cool people! Can't wait to see what they come up with. I hope I can think of some good random facts...

Krispy said...

HEY dude, no bagging on Where the Red Fern Grows! That thing broke my heart into itty bitty pieces, resulting in the black void that I now have in its place! It's not about plot; it's about a boy and his dogs and growing up and friendship and THE BRUTALITY OF NATURE. T_T

I'm going to sob so much when I see War Horse in December. :P Seriously, I just saw the very end of that Hachi movie the other day and I almost lost it.

My one weakness! Animal movies! D:

Sophia Chang said...

So THAT's where your black heart comes from Krispy! Hm...must find way to repair Red Fern damage to make you start crying at movies and relating to torrid love triangles once again...

haha I'll get to this when I come back from the Bay Area

Alz - that braid one is a REALLY accurate drawing of you. Like damn. People, this is what she really looks like.

Lydia Kang said...

That settles it. If you ever come over, I'll buy you Chicken McNuggets.

I don't like thousand year old eggs either. They creep me out.

Danyelle L. said...

Thanks, Alz! :)

I *adore* your illustrations, and am totally with you on having a sweet center that shrinks every year. O:) And *high five* from one picky eater to another. >:)