2.03.2015

Writer Recharge Challenge 2015- Goals



I don't know what it is about these challenges, but I love them. Maybe it's the community aspect of it, combined with blogging since it keeps me on my blog schedule as well? So what is Writer Recharge?

Writer Recharge is meant to be a four-week jump start in the middle of a cold, dreary winter. Set goals, check in once a week (on Mondays), and connect with other recharging writers. It's hosted by the lovely Katy Upperman, Alison Miller, Liz Parker, Elodie Nowodazkij, and Sara Biren.

Here are the categories the hosts have come up with to help with the goal-setting. You can set goals for one, all, or any combination of these categories.
  • WRITE/REVISE – Choose writing goals for the month.
  • READ/REREAD - Read a book that's been on your TBR forever or reread something that had a great impact on you.
  • STRETCH - Do something outside your comfort zone, from reading a genre you typically avoid to trying a new food or rock climbing when you're afraid of heights - that kind of thing.
  • SELF - Do something good for your mind or your body.
  • CONNECT - Find a way to make a difference in someone’s life. Make a connection, via social media or in person. Initiate twitter writing parties, have a real-life write-in with writers in your town, or offer to critique or beta read someone’s work.
  • FUN - Make a goal to do something super fun and exciting that you can look forward to.

How Writer Recharge works:

  • First week of February: Post your goals for the month on your blog, website, or Twitter. Use the hashtag #WriterRecharge. Link your blog post at Sara's blog.
  • Every Monday in February: Update your progress via your blog or twitter. Link your blog posts on the hosts' Monday posts.
  • Throughout the month: Use the hashtag to connect with other writers, have writing parties, and cheer one another on!
  • Friday, February 27: Post your final update via your blog or twitter.
  • Anyone who uses the hashtag or links their blog posts will be entered to win a fabulous prize package at the end of the month.

So here are my goals...

WRITE/REVISE
Get past this verse story block! I think I have to work at it a little every day just to get my footing again and to figure out where this needs to go. It's hard to quantify verse because it mostly involves me revising the same 3 lines over and over again... Anyway, I'm thinking 3 new stanzas at least by month's end?

READ/REREAD
Finish at least 1 new book and reread (as much as possible; it's 800 dense pages, so I'm being realistic here) the Alexander Hamilton biography.

STRETCH
Does working on my verse story count? Because it continues to terrify and destroy me. Mystery + first person + poetry = not exactly my forte. But aside from that, continue vlogging. I was just going to keep up with #vlogagram for January, but I guess I should go for February too! It's less scary now than it was, but I am still trying to figure out how not to be awkward in video-form. :P

SELF
More sleep. And a new gel manicure.

CONNECT
I actually have a few chapters of someone's that I'd like to beta. So I will work on getting that back to her as soon as possible. I'm hoping to meet up with some tweeps in NYC at the end of February as well.

FUN
Don't know if this counts because it is already going to happen, but I'm going to NYC to see the Hamilton musical. And I guess my further goal while there is to finally see his house & go see some other cool historical sites/exhibits. Also, sightseeing goal for NYC this time: the Alice in Wonderland statues in Central Park and Washington Crossing the Delaware at the Met.


Anyone else joining in this month?

3 comments:

Kim said...

oh the more sleep thing is definitely a must do -- wish I had thought of that for my goals! have a great week!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your verse novel! Hope you find some inspiration in NYC, as well. Central Park is so lovely!

Sara Biren said...

Thanks for joining us for the Recharge! And best of luck with your goals - getting more sleep sounds like an excellent goal. :)