1.16.2015

5 Fandom Friday (9)


5 Fandom Friday is a geek-blogger community building project started and hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and SuperSpaceChick. Every Friday, post a top 5 list based on a predetermined topic that can be found on this master post - you can also find more info on the project there. Participate as frequently or infrequently as you like, and if a topic doesn't especially appeal to you, feel free to put your own twist on it.

Don't forget to link-up at Superspacechick's post for the week!

This week's theme: Conventions I've Been To Or Wish To Attend

Does a Junior Statesman convention/conference count...? Because I've been to one of those in high school. My sister actually ran into Fabio at one of these - like unrelated to JSA; he was just staying in the hotel or something. ANYWAY...

In all seriousness, I've been to...

5) A Supernatural Convention

Honestly, this was kind of disappointing because there wasn't that much going on. The cast panels were great, of course, but other than that and a teeny tiny merch room, there wasn't anything else. But this was one my friends and I went to years and years ago, and the more recent things I've seen floating around online seem more lively. But I'm glad we did it and like I said, the SPN cast is always entertaining, so hearing them basically chat with fans was a good time.

I'm hoping the conventions now are more like the "fan conventions" they've put on the show (dedicated to Supernatural, the book series). I too would like to go on a Hunt but preferably not one with real ghosts...

4) Anime Expo

Went to this a couple of times in high school when I was obsessed with anime and loved it. We didn't do too much panel stuff, but it was fun seeing the Artist's Alley and Dealer's Room and of course, all the incredible cosplayers. There's a masquerade, a dance, a karaoke room (where my friend and I killed it in a duet one year - all in Japanese, which neither of us actually speak), viewing rooms with all day anime, and a gaming room.

Some friends and I went back once after college because the convention is now in Los Angeles (it used to be in Anaheim), which is a lot closer to us. It was kind of cool to see how much fancier it is now, but since we weren't as into anime anymore, the appeal was less.

But if you are into anime, AX is probably the place to be. It's huge now compared to when I went in high school! Plus, it's right by the Staples Center.

3) San Diego Comic Con



I've been 2 years in a row now, and I've loved it. It is like the biggest comics and pop culture event around after all. I think if you're into geekdom and fandom and are an all around pop culture junkie like me, it's great because it has everything. But it's also a huge marketing event, so you might not get some of the really focused or intimate kinds of experiences you're looking for. I think it's just important to have your expectations adjusted for something of this scale and to go with the flow. Seriously. The less you stress about stuff, the more fun you will have. KEY to my 1st year being above and beyond.


My first year was still the best experience, so last year was a tiny bit disappointing (it's tough to top seeing all the stuff that went down in Hall H that year - um, Loki showing up anyone?, seeing Tom Hiddleston at Nerd HQ, and bumping into Hugh Dancy in some hallway) and the crazy line situations didn't help. But that said, it was still fun and uh, I'm still going this year! So see some of you there?


Here are conventions I'd like to go to...

2) NYCC

Because it seems like the next logical step after SDCC, and I love visiting New York City! Not to mention, the book industry seems to have a bigger presence at NYCC than SDCC (because publishing HQ is basically NYC), so I think I'd enjoy that aspect more.

1) YALLfest

I was going to put BEA/BookCon here because it's huge and it's filled with books, bloggers, and writers, but I keep hearing so many good things about YALLfest. It seems like a book and writer people favorite, and it seems more casual and more personal if what you're looking for is chatting with authors and getting your books signed. I'm seriously considering flying out to attend this year.

It also has a sister fest launching in LA in April of this year: YALLWest! This would be perfect because then I can drive instead of fly to it, but unfortunately, I can't make it this year.


*Bonus Choices*

1) Dragon Con - Because it seems like a fan favorite and is always spoken of highly.

2) BEA - As I mentioned above, books. Lots and lots of books.

3) Star Wars Celebration - Because Star Wars.


What's on your convention wishlist?

P.S. In case you missed it, I'm hosting a giveaway of 6 fantastic YA books! It's easy to enter, your chances are great at the moment, and it ends at the end of the month!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your list! I think you should give NYCC a try for sure!

Connie Keller said...

Going to the NYCC one would be fantastic.

I don't think I've ever been to a convention. Unless you count Model UN, which I did in high school. And friend and I repped Lesotho. And, probably just like real life, a much bigger country sent over some representatives who threatened us unless we voted the way they wanted. Thankfully, our high school had some nerdy football players--we told them what happened and the frontline explained to oue threateners that we would voted how we wanted to vote and everyone would be happy about it.

Mia Hayson said...

Ahhhh YES YALLFEST, BEA, all the things! I yearn to go this year, I think I just want to drink up the energy at these places and be inspired.

<3