5 Fandom Friday is a geek-blogger community building project started and hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and SuperSpaceChick. Every Friday, post a top 5 list based on a predetermined topic that can be found on this master post - you can also find more info on the project there. Participate as frequently or infrequently as you like, and if a topic doesn't especially appeal to you, feel free to put your own twist on it.
I was not blogging over the holidays, so I missed a couple of these. On Wednesday, I blogged about my One Word Resolution for 2015, which covers the New Year's Resolutions prompt from a few weeks ago. Today, I'm going to do 2 Fandom Friday prompts - last week's and this week's!
January 2nd – New Year's Fandom Resolutions (last week's prompt)
1) Meet more geek girls/ online friends IRL. SDCC anyone?
2) Go to more conventions. I'm going to SDCC again this year, but I'm kind of thinking about WonderCon, and I'd like to finally get to a book convention. I'm eye-balling YALLfest.
3) Join up with more groups and/or participate in more challenges. I sort of started this at the end of 2014 by finally joining the Female Geek Blogger group, and I just signed up for Geek Girl Brunch. I'm also going to try this #vlogagram project by YA author Megan Whitmer for beginning/occasional vloggers.
4) Read more graphic novels/comic books/webcomics. I just picked up my first on-going comic book series at the end of 2014 (ODY-C, if you're curious), and I devoured Emily Carroll's horror comic anthology THROUGH THE WOODS and her issue of FRONTIER. The medium is so great, and obviously, I love reading. So this seems like an area I can explore more of, and I'm excited for the upcoming book-version of Noelle Stevenson's NIMONA.
5) Geek trip or activity. Already doing good on this: going to NYC for a musical about my US History crush Hamilton (my trip last year was London for Tom Hiddleston, Shakespeare, and Harry Potter Studio Tour!) and very likely at some point this year will be holding a Star Wars trilogies viewing party with friends before the new one drops in December.
January 9th – My Favorite Things About Winter
Disclaimer: I'm from Southern California, so yes, our winters can hardly be called winters. And yes, I am weak to cold.
1) Hot Chocolate/ hot drinks. Nothing warms you up like a nice, hot drink in your favorite mug on a chilly night.
2) Coats / Sweater Weather. I love coats and sweaters, and while it's not often cold enough for my heaviest coats, I still have plenty of other choices. I love the different styles and looks of both coats and sweaters and how you can pair and layer them with other things. So great. Every year I can't stop myself from buying new sweaters.
3) Scarves. I have no great pics of my scarves, but trust that I own many and love wearing them. My favorites are ones friends have crocheted for me.
4) Sleeping in. I'm already a fan of sleep but when I get to sleep in during the winter, it is divine! There's nothing like being all warm and comfy in bed when it's gray and cold outside- bonus if it's raining too.
5) Brisk winter days. While I don't want to be freezing, I do like a little bite in my winter days because there's something crisp and refreshing about it. Overcast skies can be dreary, but every once in a while, we get such gorgeous, moody weather in the winter. The chill just makes me feel more awake, more alive.
Don't forget to link up! What are your favorite things about winter?