7.06.2012

Randomosity on Fridays: Summer Music

I'm all out of sorts from that holiday in the middle of the week. Thursday seriously felt like this:


Anyway, since we are well into summer now, I thought I'd have the Sister come back on and rec some fun jams for your long, bright days. Take it away, C!
----

Disclaimer: I'm sorry if some of these songs are I guess in a way "non-legit," meaning they are very pop and not the normal type of music I listen to. However, it is summer and summer is all about fun! I can't help that I like catchy songs that happen to be pretty mainstream!! Also some of these songs come from some albums that were out a few years ago, but old songs are part of enjoying summer so whatevzz.

1. The Freedom Song - Jason Mraz

Love him. The end. But I will write that this is the first song the Mraz man has covered and put on his studio album. I just love the horns and the whole vibe of the song. Favorite part is when he starts singing "come on along..." I just can't help but start groovin at that point.

The Freedom Song by Jason Mraz on Grooveshark


2. Bad Girls - M.I.A. Uhh who doesn't love a badass girl? I've never been a hardcore M.I.A. fan but all of the stuff I have heard from her has always made me wish I was as badass as her. I just love that she brings it. Plus the music video for this is pretty kickass.

Bad Girls by MIA on Grooveshark


3. Lucky Strike - Maroon 5 This whole new album is so pop that it's pretty weird but good. I still need a few more listens before I decide how I feel about the album but this song totally stood out to me when I listened. It's just so catchy and well the "ohhs" in the chorus I SWEAR ARE FROM ANOTHER SONG!!! If someone knows please tell me because it has been bothering me for a week now. The slow-down of the bridge in this song is my jam, no lieee. Also, it was tough for me to choose between this song or "One More Night" so check that song out too. The best part of that one is the way he sings those verses.

 


4. As Long As You Love Me - Justin Bieber Yes that's right. Justin Bieber has made it onto this list. I was never a Bieber fan/girl but when "Boyfriend" came out, man was I surprised. It was such a different sound from "Baby" and I just really wasn't expecting that from him. And well that song totally made me interested in what else he had up his sleeve. I've listened to his new album and well I actually enjoy some of the songs including this one. Yes Backstreet Boys will always have the superior song but Bieber does not disappoint with this. The staggering in the chorus is really what makes the song for me. Also, Big Sean's rap on this is so stupid so please ignore that first line. You'll understand when you hear it.

As Long As You Love Me by Justin Bieber on Grooveshark

5. Fireworks - Polock Such an appropriate song considering it was the 4th two days ago but I found out about Polock sometime last year and instantly fell in love. If you are a fan of the band Phoenix, you will probably like Polock. They're pretty much the Spanish version of them since they're from Spain and the vibe of their songs just reminds me of Phoenix. Plus the first few lines of the song are "1 2 3 4 5 we are young and proud." 'Nuff said.

Fireworks by Polock on Grooveshark


6. I Can't Get Enough - Rooney Rooney is such a Californian band and this song just screams California to me. I just wanna put on my shades, roll down my windows, and drive down to the beach with this song on. It's just so fun and summer-y!

I Can't Get Enough by Rooney on Grooveshark


7. Windows Down - Big Time Rush That's right, BTR is back on another one of my lists. What can I say, I just can't help myself. They're songs are so catchy!! Anyway, this is their new single and it was actually Ke$ha's song. She decided to sell it to BTR once a demo of her version was leaked. There is a mash-up of her verses in BTR's version somewhere online which is pretty awesome but the song without her is also pretty great as well. The little lead-up into the chorus is my favorite part. I've realized that I just like little slow-down moments in songs. It just begs you to get down and groooveee.

Windows Down by Big Time Rush on Grooveshark


8. On Top of the World - Imagine Dragons One of my new favorite bands. They just released an EP titled "Continued Silence" and I definitely recommend that you guys check it out. It is so amazing. I literally listen to it on repeat every night when I'm playing with the puppy. I figure this song has more of a summery fun vibe but one of my favorites from the EP is "Radioactive" so check that out too if you're interested in this band! They're definitely one to watch.

On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons on Grooveshark


9. Satellite - The Wanted So long story short, I pretty much was a Wanted hater for the longest time. When I first found out about them back in 2009-ish (when they first started out) I hated on them. Their first single was just horrible, and the music video was the most hilarious thing I had ever seen. Even with the other singles they had, I still could not get into them. They just didn't do it for me, and I even said "they will never make it here" (since they're British). Fast forward to now.

I gave in once fate allowed them to change their show from The Roxy to The El Rey, where I was interning at the time. Not only did I have a really fun time at the show, but I met them afterwards, and their kindness made me a fan. I can't hate when I got hugs and kisses on the cheek ok. That's just rude. Anyway, "Satellite" is a song I thoroughly enjoyed and liked off the bat (which is pretty crazy even since I've become a fan because some of their songs take time for them to grow on me). I found out that Ryan Tedder produced it later on and that was when it all made sense but frealzz it is a good song.

Satellite by The Wanted on Grooveshark

10. Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood This is seriously my new favorite band. I basically got into them when I saw them open up for The Wombats (I think but I guess this detail doesn't really matter) when I was working a show. There were two openers that night and The Neighbourhood went first. The thing that impressed me about them was that they had so much energy and really got the crowd going even if they were the first opening band. It's always hard being an opener and to get the crowd that engaged takes some serious skill. And well I was also impressed with their overall musical style. They just have this dark, r&b vibe mixed in with some rock. It really is hard for me to explain exactly what it is that I like about them but all I know is that I like it. They just released an EP a few months ago called "I'm Sorry" and you can download it for free at their official site! They're currently working on a new album and I am pretty excited for it. Also check out "Female Robbery" off the EP. That is definitely one of my favorites.

Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood on Grooveshark
----

What are you jamming out to so far this summer? HAPPY WEEKEND!

4 comments:

Angela Brown said...

Call me happy just because I recognized most of the names of the bands/singers, especially Jason Mraz an Maroon 5. I don't listen to much radio so I'm thrilled to hear all of these.

Lydia Kang said...

I love hearing new music on your site. I confess I was surprised to se the Biebs but I can see why you like it. That chorus is fun.

And I can't ever get enough Mraz in my life!

Connie Keller said...

Ack! I only recognized a couple of names. I guess it's time to expand my horizons. Thanks for sharing.

Sophia Chang said...

I felt the same way! I kept going, "Do I have to move the car?" (street sweeping)