6.27.2018

Currently... (23)



I found the Currently post at Kate Hart's blog, who got the idea from Amy Lukavics, who found it here. Please join in and link me in the comments if you do!


LOVING: Netflix's version of Queer Eye. If you need a pick-me-up, this show is it!

A post shared by alice (@akangaru) on


Celebrating friends' milestones - turning 30, launching books, getting married, exciting new projects, my cousin graduating from college, and so on.


READING: I just finished Claire Legrand's new epic fantasy FURYBORN. It is a page-turner, immersive, and thrilling. I love how high the stakes feel, how vulnerable and alive the characters are, and seeing just how the 2 timelines relate to each other. This is your new fave YA fantasy. Trust me.

Also, I'm just so happy I finally got to meet Claire earlier this month. I've been Twitter friends with her since her debut (a creepy Middle Grade book called The Cavendish Home for Boys & Girls), and it was a delight to actually talk to her in person and give her a big hug. Plus, she crowned me at her signing.

A post shared by alice (@akangaru) on



WATCHING: The Staircase on Netflix. Need to start Marvel's Cloak & Dagger and Luke Cage. Binge-watched Big Little Lies right before our trip to Monterey and loved it.

Saw way too many movies recently - Incredibles 2 (cute but a little bit like why did this take 14 years as it's very episodic - but the short BAO was ALL THE FEELS), Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Blue!), Hereditary - which was not nearly as terrifying as everyone was going on about!


THINKING ABOUT: Comic Con plans - what I'm going to see, what I'm going to wear. What project I'm going to work on next. The need to KonMari my life. Would anyone be interested in buying a ton of my clothes because I need to purge my closet!


ANTICIPATING: Comic Con! More immediately, the 4th of July because yes, days off!! Seeing all the amazing photos @thisdorkynerdgirl took of me for her Elhoffer Design clothing review for Temple of Geek. Here's a few from the Star Wars-inspired collection!



WISHING: For more certainty and less doubt, for more confidence in my abilities, for more kindness in the world. For my country to be less of a trashfire.

  • The SCOTUS news yesterday and today are particularly disheartening. If you're freaking out like I am about all of this, read @celeste_pewter's ACTION thread on Twitter about the incredible importance of DEFENDING the Senate. We need to band together to make sure no Dem Senators lose their seats, and we need to flip some. This means donating, volunteering, and calling. 
    • See @Roadto18 for the necessary info on Senators and commit to helping one or two - it's like those assignments in school where you had to pick a Congress person to study or run a fictional campaign for. We're doing that, BUT FOR REAL.


MAKING ME HAPPY: Pretty much everything in the "Loving" category above. Oh, I recently was invited to an advanced screening of Netflix's movie adaptation of TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE by Jenny Han. I'm not allowed to say too much about it, but I LOVED IT and I can't wait until August when everyone else can see it, too!

My newest poem is out in Liminality's Summer Issue, and it's called BEAUTY ROUTINE. It's about beauty and, like so many of my poems, about transformation. I hope you enjoy it and the rest of the issue. Liminality always publishes such exquisite work.

A post shared by alice (@akangaru) on




Q4U: What have you been up to? Tell me in the comments!

No comments: