5.24.2016

Currently... (20)


"Currently..." updates will be every 2 weeks or so. Going to try to update on Tuesdays when Katy Upperman posts hers.

I found the Currently post at Kate Hart's blog, who got the idea from Amy Lukavics, who found it here. Please join in and link me in the comments if you do!


LOVING
  • Celebrating Star Wars Day aka May the Fourth (be with you)! My last post was actually an Outfit of the Day post featuring some of my favorite new Star Wars gear. Do check it out if you haven't yet!
  • Captain America: Civil War! We were lucky enough to watch it a few days early because we won tickets from a local radio station to see it at IMAX HQ, which is pretty dang cool. (The Sister and I saw Age of Ultron here too.) Bet you can't guess whose team we're on. ;)
    • Our second viewing of the movie was with some of our Comic Con Hall H line buddies and "Chris Evans." And all this fun stuff aside, yes, I loved the movie. They handled the large cast incredibly well, and I really liked how they handled the character arcs and themes.
A photo posted by @mylifewithchrisevans on

  • Brunching with my Founding ladies. I wish I had a catchier name for this, but here we are. I'm so lucky to have found my people so relatively early in life and to have kept them in my life.
  • Brunching for birthdays - specifically for my Con Squad sister Jenn's birthday this past weekend. Obviously, it was a fun time but it was also cool to see how everyone knew everyone else. It's incredible to me that a year ago, Comic Con squad did not exist, and now look at us!

  • Blackmilk Sample Sale haul. Sadly, Blackmilk has closed their Los Angeles location, but the bright side is they had a sample sale as a last hurrah and we bought all the things. I am most pleased with our LOTR and Harry Potter lucky finds! Map dresses! Daily Prophet legs!
  • Yallwest goodies: I scored an ARC of Garth Nix's upcoming GOLDENHAND, which is a BIG DEAL to me because it is an actual sequel to his original Old Kingdom trilogy. I love the Old Kingdom books A LOT, and I can't wait to see where some of the characters are now!! And I didn't even think I'd have a chance at Victoria Schwab's THIS SAVAGE SONG ARC, but thanks to an amazing friend who also went to the fest, I NOW HAVE A COPY. *cue freak out*

WATCHING
  • The Night Manager: So much beautiful Tom Hiddleston.
  • Game of Thrones: this season is exciting. I need more reunions and Tormund x Brienne, lol.
  • TURN: it's the Benedict Arnold betrayal season and I love it.

ANTICIPATING
  • Writing a special blog post for a friend's project.
  • NOLA - in about 2 weeks, I will going to New Orleans for the first time!!! So let me know if there's anything I MUST do and/or eat!

THINKING ABOUT

BeyoncĂ©. I wouldn't call myself a member of the Beyhive, but that all changed when I saw her 2 weeks ago on her Formation World Tour. I can't even begin to explain the experience of being at her show because it was incredible, and I don't think I exaggerate when I say it was like a religious experience. I totally get why Queen B is the queen and why her fans are so intense about her. Yes, she's a consummate performer, talented and that beautiful in real life, but there was just something electric about the entire show.

A video posted by alice (@akangaru) on


I think I also found it strangely moving (I actually teared up at the show because I was so overwhelmed, and that is so not me) because it was such an empowering night. Like it was all about the strength of women and loving yourself.



MAKING ME HAPPY
  • Always, seeing online friends. The Yallwest book festival was actually perfect for that. I finally was able to meet Erin Bowman, who I've known a while on Twitter and who was the one who convinced me to read The Scorpio Races, which is one of my favorite books ever now. We also love Harry Potter, and she makes an amazing Luna Lovegood.

    • The bonus, of course, was also meeting so many authors I admire and fangirl over, as well as Twitter/author friends. I had such a great time actually putting faces to Twitter handles and chatting and eating over-priced truffle fries. Oh, and I wore my Marauder's Map dress, which was the best decision because I don't think I've ever been complimented so much on it in my life.
  • Speaking of the serendipity of making friends on the interwebs... I was so lucky to be able to make Sarah Maas' signing earlier this month, mostly thanks to some help from Sarah, and she was as funny and delightful as she always is. The big surprise though was while I was starting to read A COURT OF MIST AND FURY, I was amazed and really touched to find myself in the acknowledgments.
  • My contributor's copy of THE 2016 RHYSLING AWARD anthology! My poem is in a book-shaped thing with so many, truly magical poems. I am so humbled and happy.

  • My newest JordandenĂ© tank, which is a collaboration between Jordan and Megan aka The Nerdy Girlie. Oh and if you want one of these for yourself OR even the Hamilton design which is back for a limited time (!), don't forget you can get 25% off through the end of May with my code: workwork!


Q4U: What's up with you?

5 comments:

Kristin Hackett said...

First of all, I LOVE your Captain America skirt! It's so cute! And I can't believe you got so much at the BM Sample Sale! I had no idea they were closing the LA location. I know they had an NY sample sale too but I missed ours :-( And I can't believe your in the acknowledgements of ACOMAF!!!!! That's so exciting!!!! It's definitely my favorite SJMass book to date<3

Jaime Morrow said...

Tormund and Brienne totally crack me up. I ship those two so hard. This season has definitely been good so far. I mean, I don't love some of the choices they made (no spoilers!), but I'm still hooked. I'm still thinking about Sunday's episode.

Okay, I have MAJOR Marauder's Map dress envy. So, so awesome! Also: New Orleans envy. I've never been, but I'd love to go. I almost got to go once, but the trip fell through. Can't wait to see your photos! I'm just a big ole ball of envy here because I'm super envious that you've gotten to meet so many awesome people. :-)

Hope you have a great week, Alice!

katyupperman said...

I'm with Jaime -- I'm all about Tormund and Brienne. Could they look any more perfect together?

New Orleans! I love it there! Since it's your first time, you must do all of the cliche things, including eating beignets. :-) I loved getting off the beaten path and checking out the old cemeteries. They're so atmospheric and cool. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Love all of your photos this week, especially the one of you wearing your fabulous Marauder's dress with Erin. I'm so envious of your in-person meet-up!

Also, um, do you guys *always* win tickets to cool stuff? ;-)

Crystal said...

<3 <3 <3 Brienne & Tormund! I am just here for Brienne no matter what anyway, though, lol.

Have fun in New Orleans! You always have such awesome stuff going on! I've only been once, pre-Katrina, so I have no idea about any suggestions other than, you know, eat ALLLLL the beignets ;)

Danielle K said...

Tormund and Brienne are my favorite ship ever! Love all of your haul from Black Milk :)