What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, so we can check in with each other. To join, just check out Jaime Morrow or Erin Funk's blogs for the link widget and sign up!
WHAT I'M READING
Finishing up The Infinite Sea. I did however get 2 other books under my belt. The first is another delightful picture book with a twist from Mac Barnett (writer) and Jon Klassen (illustrator) called SAM AND DAVE DIG A HOLE.
I WANT MY HAT BACK is a favorite book, period), and I loved his last collaboration with Mac Barnett, the sweet EXTRA YARN. So I was so excited to discover there was a new book out by this duo, and it did not disappoint. As usual, Barnett paces the story perfectly, and Klassen's illustrated animals give the best story-telling expressions.
I also read a comic book! It may surprise you (or not), considering my geek proclivities, that I'm actually not that into comics - mostly because none of my friends were ever into comics and there's just so much out there, it's hard to know where/how to start. That said, I've read a few in volume form (mostly Neil Gaiman's Sandman).
But anyway, at the end of November I heard about this new series called ODY-C that immediately set my Classical Mythology-loving heart aflutter. Classic myth is one of my great and true loves; I voraciously devoured Greek myths alongside fairy tales. And The Odyssey is one of my all-time forever favorites - story, epic, poem, book, whatever you want to call it. I love it to bitty bitty pieces, and Odysseus for all his faults is a favorite character of mine. I flail a little every time he shows up in Greek Myth retellings (e.g. another forever favorite of mine- Madeline Miller's gorgeous THE SONG OF ACHILLES; Kendare Blake's fun and bloody YA series THE GODDESS WAR).
ODY-C is a SciFi, genderbent retelling of the Odyssey. It's a space Odyssey, starring a majority female cast. And like Guardians of the Galaxy, it is fantastically, gorgeously COLORFUL. Basically, this series had me in its thrall before I ever opened a page, and a friend who knows how much I adore The Odyssey & Greek myth did the awesome-o thing of mailing me a brand new copy.
So I read that yesterday, and I freaking love it. The way they've spun the mythology to fit the science fiction setting and the now-female characters has been wonderfully clever. I cannot wait for the next issue!
WHAT I'M WRITING
Still messing with that short story, but also writing a few poem snippets.
1 Writing Goal: write a new stanza of the verse story. It's been too long.
WHAT WORKS FOR ME
Writing down the lines and plot points that sometimes occur to me while doing other things. Write them down as soon as possible. You think you'll remember it later, but you won't. WRITE IT DOWN, ALICE.
WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO
1. I am 100% done with holiday shopping. Whaaaaaaaat. Actually, I was done last week. I'm feeling pretty accomplished. On the other hand, I still have not mailed out holiday cards. So that's 1-1 even.
2. I went to Junk Food Clothing's sample sale this last weekend and scored some pretty SWEET nerd-gear for $5 each. Needless to say, I bought way too much stuff BUT I now have a healthy dose of DC in my mostly Marvel dominated geek-closet. And my favorite- MOAR Star Wars!
3. Some of the goodies I ordered for myself during the holiday shopping has started to arrive, including the crimson galaxy Shadowplaynyc tights (pictured above) I've long been wanting.
4. Got my SipSwap mug, and my person was none other than lovely Jessica Love! She ordered me a custom mug, which was completely handmade. It's so cute and very me. I love it! Thanks again, Jess!
5. Since it's December, it's almost time again for my favorite blogfest of the year: the YA Superlatives Blogfest - hosted by Katy Upperman, Tracey Neithercott, Jessica Love, and Alison Miller.
So, it's next week! Click the link or the banner above for the details. I need to get reading, but I hope you'll join! There will be prizes at the end too. ;)
What's up with you?